Saturday 25 September 2010

Cypriots and Yoga Mats

Yesterday was a fun-filled and adventurous day.  I got word that my loan check had been processed and I could pick it up, so I went and received the first of three installments for my accommodation fees and living expenses, totally 3800 pounds.  Frugality, here we go.  And because it was Friday, I was able to activate my bank account and directly deposit the check, although the funds won't be available until a week from Monday due to processing times.  But at least I do have a working, functional bank account and my debit card should be arriving soon. 

After the fun excursion to the bank, I embarked on an adventure to finally find the city center/the enormous mall that Fauzan and Carlos have told me about but so far I've been unable to find.  I was largely in pursuit of a yoga mat and figured there must be one somewhere in a mall that big.  So I gathered up my maps and struck out along the route to get me to the library and then take it from there.  Multiple wrong turns and close to an hour and a half later, I finally made it, although at first I didn't realize I had gotten there because I went into an Aldi's unaware that it actually opened up into the mall.  But the guys were right - it's HUGE.  It looks to be almost on par with that one in NJ we went to once, although I couldn't swear to it.  But it's really big.  I looked high and low and finally did find yoga mats at Adidas - for 35 pounds.  I'm willing to invest 35 pounds in one, but not until I'm able to access my bank funds and am not solely dependent on the cash I have on me now.  I'm glad I found the place, though, because not only have I located a mat, but the Aldi's food prices were really cheap, much cheaper than the smaller stores down Curry Mile.  Granted, this means a longer walk for groceries, but it's probably worth it.  Going the right way it's only about 20-25 minutes away. 

Last night was also the Erasmus Latin Crash, a party mainly geared toward Erasmus (one year exchange) students but open to everyone.  Kola had asked if I wanted to go with him, Carlos, and their group and I said yes, so we had all made plans to meet at 10 pm last night for it.  Carlos told me that beforehand we were also invited to a house party closer to the city center, so we set out down that way.  Our company consisted of Carlos, Kola, Ronny the Norwegian, Valerie and Michelle (both Chinese girls with Anglicized names for pronunciation), Karolina from Lithuania (at whose friend's house the party was), and myself.  We made a happy and enthusiastic band heading downtown where we met the guy who took us up to his apartment.  His student housing was really much nicer than ours, and he was paying less for it (probably because he had to share a bathroom, but only with one other person).  There were multiple people there already, and I think they were mostly Eastern European/Mediterranean.  The guy who was hosting chatted me up a bit and when I asked where he was from he said "Cyprus, but you probably don't know where that is."  I told him that indeed I did, and then I asked him if he was a Greek Cypriot or a Turkish Cypriot.  His eyes got wide and he said, "Wow . . . okay you really do know something."  Breaking the American stereotype one foreigner at a time . . . anyway, he then proceeded to imitate Clay Aiken and was thrilled when I said I was from NY.  I've almost given up clarifying that I'm not from the city because nobody really cares about the rest of the state - they just love the city and ask me questions about it.

After hanging out there for a bit we walked over to the place where the real party was.  It was jam-packed and incredibly loud - not exactly my cup of tea, but it was kind of fun all the same.  At one point they played the "New York" song and the Cypriot (whose name I never really got but it could have been Nikolai) came over to me and started cheering.  It was long though - it went from 11pm to 4 am, but by a little after 3 I had had more than enough and Carlos suggested we leave.  He really is the consummate gentleman - always making sure everyone is accounted for, watching your coat, ensuring that everyone has a way to get home, taking your arm as you cross the street.  Indeed, even as we left he was texting the others still inside, making sure everyone knew we were leaving and making sure the guys got the other girls home.  Take heart - gentlemen still do exist!

And Mother, for any of my former colleagues at Grand Union who ask about the differences between British supermarkets and American ones, you can tell them that in the supermarkets over here the cashiers have cushioned swivel chairs and are allowed beverages at their stations.  And no, I'm not just saying that - I've seen it with my own eyes.  Looks like we still have things to learn from our friends across the pond . . .

No comments:

Post a Comment